It was a hot, beautiful day for a wedding. He was twenty-one and she was nineteen. Their theme was United in Christ, and the décor centered around daisies…daisies on her dress, daisies in the arms of the bridesmaids, and daisies in vases.
They were both the oldest in their families. He had three siblings and she had four. They were loved and they loved each other. Life was good.
The calendar way back forty-four years ago indicated that August 4th that year would fall on a Saturday. It also happened to be her nineteenth birthday. And so the date had been set. Family and friends had gathered to celebrate a wedding and a birthday, and to encourage the young couple as they began their life together.
I shared previously about the first of two highlights that occur for me in the months of July and August.
Today Mr. Van and I will celebrate our forty-fourth anniversary and my sixty-third birthday. How the years have flown by…
When that day arrives each year, I always find myself reflecting on the Scripture that our Pastor gave us at our wedding. It comes from Psalm 84:11,12,
For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly. O LORD of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you!
I used to wonder when we were first married if this verse meant that God would only give us good, and not hard, sad, lonely, or difficult times. At nineteen years old, I was naïve, and didn’t realize that He would allow those times to help me grow to depend more on Him, and to learn that He is my Deliverer and my Portion no matter what happens in my life.
It’s in those hard times that we grow deeper in loving and trusting Him.
MY MUSINGS THIS WEEK
- I am thankful for the years together that God has allowed so far for Mr. Van and me.
- The celebration of our Anniversary and my birthday always leads me to muse about the year ahead. I consider my One Word for the year and my dreams, desires and goals. Will share more about this in the weeks to come.
- August always brings an anticipation of new beginnings. My time has been occupied with preparation for the launch of our third year of Heart2Heart, the Discipleship Ministry for women in our church. I consider it a privilege to lead…
YOUR MUSINGS THIS WEEK
- I don’t know if you are married, single, widowed, divorced… Whatever your current situation, I am asking God to help you to know the God who is your Deliverer and Portion, and to trust that He is good, no matter what.
- Would you begin this week to consider what theme God has been placing before you, over and over, through what you read, hear, or experience as you go about daily life? Perhaps there is One Word that you could focus on this next year to help you grow in that area.
Thanks for walking with us….
Love you, Colleen
To receive mrsvansmusings in your inbox, just click on the Email Request button in the sidebar. We’d love to keep in touch that way…
The post Birthday Joy 2 appeared first on colleenvannieuwkerk.com.